Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Do Over Moment #CleverDoOver #spon

Back before I had these amazingly awesome shaped eyebrows, I had what I like to call, "caterpillar brows". They were thick, bushy, ridiculous things on my face. I started tweezing and plucking at around 10-11 years old. It was a total trial and error thing. I didn't really know what I was doing, and no one really showed me. I repeat, NO ONE REALLY SHOWED ME.

THIS IS MY DO-OVER MOMENT. 

Actually, more like a do-over period. I had jacked up eyebrows for a few years. 

You know how your friends and family are all way too nice to tell you that you look bad? That was my problem. No one told me. And the weirdest part was that I couldn't see how un-even my eyebrows were. Whenever I saw a picture of my eyebrows I would see how un-even I plucked them, but when I looked in the mirror I simply couldn't see it. It was like a photograph told the real story. Remember how Cher in Clueless said, "I don't rely on mirrors, so I always take polaroids"? Yep. That was good advice. 

I finally decided to do something about my shameful eyebrows. I grew those suckers out. Totally and completely. I looked like my eyebrows had been singed off in some insane fire. After they finally grew out, I had them waxed. I've been maintaining them ever since.  

If I could do it all over, I'd definitely have begged my mom to get them waxed. But, then again, I was a bratty 12 year old that thought she knew everything. So I'd probably make the same mistake again. AMIRIGHT?

From Frigidaire: The Frigidaire Gallery™Dishwasher gets dishes fully cleaned the first time, so there are no dish do-overs. Nearly half of adults admit to re-washing and/or re-drying dishes after the dishwasher cycle has been completed. To prevent dishwasher do-overs, Frigidaire® is stepping in with its new Gallery® Dishwasher featuring the OrbitCleanTM Wash Arm, ensuring dishes are cleaned right the first time.

I was compensated for this post as a member of Clever Girls Collective. All the opinions expressed here are my own.

3 comments:

  1. This is hilarious! I believe my do-over *period* would be around the same age as yours...it included a bug catching perm (that I didn't know how to tame) and mascara on my eyebrows. Absolutely awful it was. I feel ya girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was the first thing I read off my reader this morning, because I was sure you had somehow found a high school photo of me!!! I remember being 11 or 12 and a woman who was legally blind (!!!!!!) pulled me to within an inch of her face and declared, "Aren't you a beauty! You've got big bushy eyebrows like Brooke Shields." In my defense I am only 30, so Brooke Shields was a dried-up has been at that point, and I was mortified. So I began years of uneven, horrifically embarrassing eyebrows. I finally did the same thing and spent a summer growing those "Brooke Shield bushes" back out and started getting them professionally shaped. Thanks for nothing, moms!! PS Sorry I just wrote you a novel, but when I find a kindred spirit I can't help myself!

    Katie- Hems For Her

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA, BRILLIANT. Jess, I had those same damn eyebrows, same age. When my mom finally realized how overboard I'd gone (I don't know how she missed it for so long), she was like, "You do not get to touch your eyebrows for at least a year." I was pissed. But now that I'm STILL waiting for some of the patches to fill in (what, 18 years later), I gotta say, she knew.
    My hat's off to your brows for filling back in so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete